A boy and his dog

A Boy and His Dog
There really is nothing like a boy and his dog. My son's favorite thing in the world is his dog, Princess.  She joined our family Christmas of 2011.  That Christmas all Joshua, age 8, would ask for was a puppy.  Now you have to understand that we already had a dog, a black lab - Gretchen about age 10 at the time, and my husband is not really a dog person.  So, I was very surprised when he answered yes to my question of whether we could give Joshua his "Christmas puppy".

Giving the Christmas morning surprise took a little work and some help.  I purchased Princess from the pound about a week before Christmas when a friend was at the house and could keep and eye on the kids.  Another friend actually kept Princess for us that week, and my husband finally brought her home to our house late that night (our Christmas Eve - Christmas morning always comes early at the Thompson house due to various travels and other family Christmas celebrations).  I wrapped 3 sides of the kennel, put her in, and put her under the tree.  I was so worried that she would whine a lot being new to our house, but she was good and the surprise was terrific.  Joshua tells us to this day that he heard her little "yap" and found her before he woke us all up.
It was probably our best Christmas morning to that point, and definitely Joshua's most memorable.  Princess is his best friend and I can't imagine his life without her.  She sleeps with him, sometimes with her head on a pillow and under the blanket.  She loves giving "kisses" and wags her tail anytime you say her name. The relationship he has with her is pure joy.  He's still not sure what he's going to be when he grows up, but I do know he will always be an animal lover.

Comments