Who am I?
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10 ESV
Here lately I really feel like the "thief" is definitely attacking. I'm believing the lies that I am not worthy and can not do anything right. I wear many "hats". I am wife, mother, teacher, and housekeeper among other things. These "hats" describe my role, my relationships, and my jobs. Currently, my house is a wreck, I feel a bit disconnected in my relationships, disrespected with my kids, and overwhelmed by school. Last school year was stressful for a variety of reasons and so as the new year is about to start, I am feeling a great deal of anxiety. Honestly, I feel like a failure. I don't really like me and yet I can't seem to change. All I want to do is escape the stress of day to day life.
However, I know deep in my heart that this "failure" I am feeling is a lie from the enemy. At our in-service breakfast this morning our Dean of Students reminded us that the answer to the question "who am I" is not about our name, our relationships, our roles, or the jobs we have. The answer is tied up in our identity in Christ. So, I want to take a moment today to remind myself of "Who I am" and how God sees me through Christ.
1. According to Genesis 1:26, I am made in God's image.
2. Psalm 139:14 says "I am fearfully and wonderfully made".
3. I am a "child of God" (John 1:12). In fact, Ephesians 1:4-5 says I was chosen and have been "adopted" as God's child.
4. Romans 5:1 declares that I have been "justified by faith".
5. In Colossians 1:13-14 states that God has delivered me from darkness and that I am redeemed (bought at a price) and forgiven.
6. I was dead in my sin, but I am alive in Christ (Colossians 2:13)
In the movie "Overcomer" a high school student is asked the same question I am struggling with - "Who are you?" One of her teachers tells her to read through Ephesians 1 and 2. A few scenes later this monologue happens...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8186318/characters/nm1731937
In that moment Hannah Scott summed up our identity in Christ. I needed to be reminded of this today.
The enemy wants to destroy my spirit and kill my joy by making me believe that my inadequacies and failures and the standards of this world are what gives me my identity. And, if the world was the final standard my feeling that I am not worthy of much would be valid. However, scripture makes it very clear that God's view of things is quite different. He made me, he bought me despite my sin, cleansed me, and made me an heir into His kingdom.
So, each day I'm going to remind myself of His truth, and little by little the lens with which I see myself will become a little more like His.
Comments
Post a Comment